Flavourful and fun, our coconut and chilli tea complete with mango bobas is one for the bubble tea fans.
Gluten free, vegan
Mango boba balls:
- 1/2 cup mashed mango (fresh or frozen)
- 2 Tbsp hot water
- 8 Tbsp tapioca flour + more for coating the bobas
- 2 Kapow Tea Temples + 3/4 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- Ice cubes
Prepping the tea
- Soak 2 Kapow Tea Temples in 3/4 cup of water in the fridge, overnight. If you don't want to wait overnight, steep the tea bags in 3/4 cup of hot water and wait until cool to use.
Making the boba
- Using either fresh or frozen mango, mash the flesh until you have about 1/2 cup worth of mash mango.
- Add 1 Tbsp tapioca flour at a time (8 in total) to the mango, mixing through each Tbsp until well combined.
- Flour your hands and a clean bench surface with tapioca flour, and scoop the mango mix onto the bench. Gently knead the mango dough until less sticky, continuing to flour your hands as needed.
- Divide the dough into 2 and roll each into long, thin logs. Cut the logs into boba size pieces (1-2cm). Using your hands, roll each piece into balls and place into a clean bowl. Sprinkle a little more tapioca flour over the top and give the bowl a gentle shake to carefully coat all of the balls.
Cooking the boba
- In a large pot, bring 4 cups of water to a boil.
- Once boiling, add the boba balls and stir continuously until they float to the top.
- Turn down the heat to medium and cook for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, remove from the heat, but let the boba sit in the water for a further 15 minutes.
- Strain the water and add the boba back to the pot with 2 Tbsp brown sugar and let sit for a further 15 minutes. It's worth the wait!
Assembling your bubble tea
- Remove the tea bags from your tea brew and add the liquid to a shaker cup with 1/4 cup coconut cream and a handful of ice cubes. Pop the lid on and give it a good shake!
- Divide the mango boba between two glasses. Add some ice over the top, before pouring over your shaken coconut tea.
- Ideally use a wide straw to drink and enjoy!
Shop Kapow Tea >
Recipe by Mikaela Nelson @fluentinveg